Best Car Covers, 2020 Updated - A Comparison of Car Covers - Updated 4/27/20 - Author: Mark Lindon, Resident Car Cover Expert
Car Cover Buying Guide
This question really comes down to what is best for YOUR situation. What is the best car cover and how do our car covers compare to other companies?
What Does CarCovers.com Offer? What Do Competitors Offer?
We understand it can be hard to compare covers with companies offering so many different materials, styles and terminology. We hope to walk you through a basic guide to make your decision easier!
Step 1: Fit - Universal, Semi-Custom, or Fully Custom Covers
1. Universal Fit Car Covers (Worst / Not Offered By Us) - These are covers you typically find at an auto part store that have 2 to 3 sizes (small, medium, large). These are low end, economy covers that offer limited protection and a fit that is often less than desireable. As such we decided not to offer these type of covers.
2. Semi-Custom Fit Car Covers (Best VALUE, Lifetime Warranty & Fastest Shipping - Our Top Seller) - These are covers that are sized to the length, width and height of the vehicle. Typically there are a large amount of styles (for the car shape, dimensions, etc). The car cover will not contour exactly to the body lines but will fit within a few inches. The elastic front and rear elastic hems snug the cover under the front and rear car bumpers. These are our best seller and offer the best value. The best part is we can premanufacture in bulk and keep these items in stock so they can ship right away instead of having a lengthy manufacturing period. Most of our Semi-Custom orders ship either the same day or next business day. The Platinum Shield (our top seller) has incredible limited Lifetime warranty.
3. Fully Custom Fit Car Covers (Most Expensive, Best Fit, Takes Several Weeks) - These covers are manufactured to order which can take up to 2 weeks. They are specifically designed to your vehicle and will countour nicely and MOST of them have mirror pockets. Typically these are quite a bit more expensive compared to semi-custom (starting at $250 and going up to $1000+). Material lines are fairly similar but due to the high cost of manufacturing, come with less years on the warranty. If you're needing a cover that will fit exactly to the body lines, we definately recommend these.
Step 2: Material Quality - Platinum Shield, Ultimate Shield, Deluxe Shield, Basic Shield
Here is a simple comparison chart to help you:
We offer 4 main flagship materials.
1. Platinum Shield Car Cover - The platinum is our highest quality, top grade, top selling car cover that comes with an incredible lifetime warranty! The Platinum Shield cover is the best solution for maximum weather protection. This cover is made of a high quality woven polyester fabric with a reflective urethane coating that provides excellent water and sun resistance. With an ultra soft fleece liner, your vehicle's finish will be perfectly preserved and protected.
2. Ultimate Shield Car Cover - The ultimate is our next step down and a great value. The Ultimate Shield is made from a special multi-layer polypropylene, with a layer of micro-porous film sandwiched between it to ensure breathability and keep moisture out. Under that is the soft fleece lining. It comes with a 10 year warranty. The main difference with the Platinum Shield over the Ultimate Shield is the Platinum offers a higher quality material designed for the harshest elements. The Platinum Shield has an excellent lifetime warranty vs the ultimate which has a 10 year warranty.
3. Deluxe Shield Car Cover - The deluxe is our lowest level outdoor protection. The Deluxe Shield is made from a special multi-layer polypropylene, with a layer of micro-porous film sandwiched between it to ensure breathability and keep moisture out. The inside is simply a non-abrasive interior (no fleece). It comes with a 5 year warranty.
4. Basic Shield Car Cover - The basic shield is our dust cover protection mostly designed for indoor use. It comes with a 3 year warranty and has a non-abrasive interior (no fleece).
Step 3: How Do We Compare To Competition?
1. [WINNER] Platinum Shield Car Cover (Outperforms 5L / 5 Layer Covers) - This is a new high quality material that has proven to beat all the other competitions materials in all of our testing. No competitor offers anything similar in a semi-custom line. The main difference with the Platinum Shield over 5 Layer materials (typical competitor cover) is the higher quality material composition (Polyester vs Polypro). The Platinum Shield is made of a polyester fabric with a polyurethane coating, which provides both a higher density overall cover and a higher quality fleece lining.
The platinum shield material is lighter in weight than all 5L / 5 layer covers and stronger than most all of our competitors products. The Platinum Shield has an excellent lifetime warranty. Additionally, the Platinum Shield car covers will include the FREE car cover care kit which includes the free storage bag, cable and lock set ( lock the cover onto the vehicle for anti-theft ), and three free microfiber dusting cloths!
2. Ultimate Shield Car Cover (5L / 5 Layer) - The ultimate shield is comparable to a 5 layer / 5L cover. Not all 5L / 5 Layer covers are made the same however. We have worked very hard on our manufacturing process to include special seams and the highest quality material. That is why we offer an incredible 10 year warranty on these covers. Additionally, the Ultimate Shield car covers will include the FREE car cover care kit which includes the free storage bag, cable and lock set ( lock the cover onto the vehicle for anti-theft ), and three free microfiber dusting cloths!
3. Deluxe Shield Car Cover - The Deluxe shield car cover is comparable to 4L and 3L covers with no fleece. The main difference with the Ultimate Shield over the Deluxe Shield is the deluxe does not have the inner fleece lining (for extra padding and protection), five years of warranty less (10 year vs. 5 year), and a slightly thinner material. The deluxe comes only with the storage bag. While these are a good light weight option, we do not recommend them if you're using the car cover in harsh elements.
4. Basic Shield Car Cover - The Basic shield car cover is comparable to a 2L type indoor dust cover. It will do a great job at protecting your vehicle from dust. We do not recommend using this cover outdoors.
Winner: Platinum Shield Car Cover - Our Top Rated Outdoor & Indoor Car Cover With Lifetime Warranty
The platinum shield is our top rated car cover and outperforms other top rated covers. As such we offer an incredible limited Lifetime warranty with the Platinum Shield line!
The Platinum Shield cover is the best solution for maximum weather protection. Lightweight yet durable, the Platinum Shield offers our highest level protection from all elements. The breathable characteristic of this material naturally prevents mold, mildew, and rust. This cover is made of a high quality woven polyester fabric with a reflective urethane coating that provides excellent water and sun resistance. With an ultra soft fleece liner, your vehicle's finish will be perfectly preserved and protected.